Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Brogue-an & Brydon

M: Mmm, this beer is different. Uh, this cider is different.

J: Than Strongbow?

M: [waves to M2] Are you gonna blog with us Matty?

M2: I'm just gonna do accents of you two. As for the movie, I just like how they constantly repeat stuff, like they're constantly in a movie. Like the battle thing, it's like they're trying to get the best take. It's funny, because they both wish they were better entertainers, so the joke is that we'll just do 100 takes of ourselves trying to be funny, because we can't get a role in Hollywood. I think it's a well-thought out movie, but then there's also some good scenes of just friends hanging out together.

M: You've got to talk slower!

J: I've got most of it!

M2: I wish I could do Roger Moore. "Moneh Penneh." And also, when I first saw the movie, when they say "I couldn't get off..."

J: I did that too! It took me a second.

M2: "If you can't get off, because you ate too much cheese..."

M: But it's getting to sleep!

J: I thought there were only one or two scenes when Steve Coogan was genuinely responding to how funny Rob Brydon was. The laughter looked real and he seemed legitimately amused.

M2: Yeah, he almost cracks a smile when the waiter brings them something and it's innuendo-esque, and they just look at each other like, 'Oh my god.' How would you not laugh? It's also interesting that Rob Brydon is the one that Steve Coogan looks to for all the humor, but he's such a passive guy.

M: He's actually looking for reception, but it looks
like he's taking a selfie.
M: I'm just trying not to say much, so you can keep up with that guy.

J: I think in this movie Rob represented someone who is...

M2: Autisic.

M: [laughs]

J: [laughs]

M2: Remember that scene?

J: NOW I do. What I was saying was that Rob was the representation of a healthy attitude towards life, self, family, etc., which is more of a passive acceptance of the way things work, rather than trying so hard to make them happen exactly the way you want them to.

M: I believe Mr. Coogan said this was a failure or inability to acknowledge true reality, but clearly I think it's the opposite.

J: Those scenes were really painful. Like he was an overgrown adolescent unable to put his own drama aside for... it's cliche, but for the more important things in life. And I'm 28.

M: [laughs]

Making friends by the river.
J: And childless. Also single.

M: Details.

M2: You both sound trapped in a metaphor.

J: Is that your next single?

M2: "I'm not condoning that you use heroin, I'm just saying..."

J: Got to the quotes just in time on that one!

M2: You mean the inverted commas?

J: Christ. We haven't even told them what this is about.

M: It's not important. I mean, you could try.

J: Long story short, two comedians take a food trip across the English countryside...

M: [interjects] The north.

J: ...meant as a romantic week-long getaway for Steve Coogan and his girlfriend, but ends up being a buddy-comedy with his friend Rob Brydon.

M2: "We ride at 10! Ish..."

M: "Sleep well, my brothers and my sisters, but not with my sister. Leave my sister out of it!" You can't type all this! They have to see it!

J: The accents in this movie were hilarious. Not-at-all subtle, and repeated often enough that even if you missed it the first time, you'll probably get it again later.

M2: What's funny is that they're trying to imitate other people from England, from the Isles, but they both use it as an excuse to tell each other what a piss-poor job they're doing.

M: Where are we at? Matt talking too much?

M2: I'm just trying to summon my inner Rob Brydon. I like how he can't stop himself from doing impressions at Steve's parents' house.

Fancy food stare-off.
J: The thing is, I didn't think Rob talked too much at all. In fact, I thought this movie spent way too much time with Steve. That being said, Steve's the main character. And he's kind of a douche.

M: [nods] Yeah.

M2: The funeral sequence was pretty rough...

M: Yeeeah...

J: That was rough.

M2: I think Steve Coogan set this movie up so that he would seem that way.

M: I don't know how he could not know that that would happen.

J: [tries goofy voice]

M: We're all going to go home and do that, stand in front of mirrors and try voices. And what I said earlier! If we don't end up to be Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, this is an excellent second alternative.

J: I dunno, I don't want to be an asshole and you're clearly Rob Brydon.

M: Type that!

J: Typed!

(insert 10-minute discussion of the various life philosophies represented in the film)

M: Basically, we've watched a very fantastic film.

M2: And as someone who just viewed it for the second time, it's even better.

M: I literally cried with laughter.

J: I enjoyed it thoroughly, as evidenced by my hearty guffaws from the other couch.

"What did you  just say?"
(conversation devolves into cookie sheet massacres and melting plastic)

M2: And antennas.

M: Antennas are plastic right?

M2: All things melted.

M: I believe that's a poem! If I were English I'd recite it to you.

J: Did you just say Engrish?

M: No! I was just channeling Rob Brydon... that being said, I wonder if when Rob Brydon talks, he has trouble finding his voice because he's so all over the map. He's always shifting about. I can relate to that; I don't talk enough.

J: You can relate to a short, Welsh, comedian?

M: [laughs] I've done worse!

J: And that, folks, is our disjointed review...

M: [points] Wait. Can I just say... [inebriation] People need to watch this movie. It's on Netflix. It's hilarious. It's fantastic. Watch it twice.

M2: Three times is nice.

J:... of The Trip! Just listen to the lady. She told ya straight. BWAB out.

M2: Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment