Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bright Young Brogues

J: Are you ready for our rendez-vous?

M: You know what I just realized? We are drinking ginger pineapple-infused vodka with ginger beer at the Pig and it just so happens that one of your favorite characters in the film we just watched is also called "Ginger." Round and round or full circle or something.

J: Oh my god, she did! I mean, you're right! In this move, called Bright Young Things (an adaptation of the novel Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh), I was delightfully surprised by the appearance of my favorite Scottish person ever, David Tennant. In this movie, as in Dr. Who, he was British. In this movie, unlike in Dr. Who, he was smarmy and cowardly.

M: [shrugs] But clever and cheeky and ginger-y. Also, I like that you have a favorite Scottish person.

J: I totally do. Who was your favorite character?

M: Can I have two favorites?

J: [sighs] I suppooooose...
I do say!

M: Or does having two sort of discount the concept of a favorite?

J: BWAB gets metaphorical.

M: Anyways, my favorite character was probably Miles. Michael Sheen is, well he's Brian Clough, the coach of Leeds United in a movie called Damned United. But in any case, he's also amazing, and I was quite impressed in this film in particular.

J: I loved him, too. His facial expressions were inspiring, and you definitely wanted to be besties with his character.

Michael Sheen, in all his gloriousness.
M: [nods head] My second favorite character was Adam, played by Stephen Campbell Moore, who made a much better impression on me in this film than in his lukewarm turn in The History Boys.

J: He really was sort of unremarkable before, wasn't he? I liked him here, too, especially his persistent optimism.

M: And his budget Jude Law-ish-ness.

J: Good call. How about a brief run-down of the plot?

M: It's like, Great Gatsby meets Benjamin Button meets the tiniest bit of Moulin Rouge, all but the singing.

The gang, doin' their thang. 
J: We really did think they were going to break into song a few times, especially Dan Aykroyd, who makes an odd and unconvincing appearance as a hard-ass Canadian and/or American (because we can't remember) newspaper tycoon. The movie meanders through London in the twenties, following a group of "bright young things," or lascivious and decadent young partiers with terrible cocaine habits. The movie's central characters are Adam and Nina, both poor but attractive socialites, and as time goes by Adam makes and loses money like it's his job. His job is that of a writer, and he takes a brief turn as "Mr. Chatterbox," a gossip columnist.

M: Okay, can we talk about Mr. Chatterbox? Because wow James MacAvoy.

J: I know! I was so pleased to see him... at first...

M: It almost ruined my whole day today.

J: It totally did. She texted me about it. Not joking.

M: Anyways, I guess that's really all I had to say about that. But speaking of brogues, Emily whats-her-face...
Oh dahling, don't.

J: Mortimer.

M: I loved her weird brogue thing! She was perfect in Match Point. And the way she says "papa-r," incredible. I'm so jealous!

J: I can't even do it. [tries]

M: [also tries] I can't either. It's so... British.

J: We really liked this movie, even when the plot was, ah, less than clear. Stephen Fry directed and adapted the novel for screen, and it was excellent.

M: He is delightful.

J: Nearly everyone British ever is in this movie. Not even kidding.

M: Just about! So, Jenna, is there anything that you'd like to add in closing? Observations about the film? About life? [shrugs nonchalantly]

That headpiece! Those smokey eyes! I die.
J: As I mentioned in our Downton Abbey post, I adore twenties-era costume jewelry and dress. The brogues were particularly good here, and we even had to rewind it a couple of times to make sense of the dialogue. In fact, I believe the English subtitles were on when we first started it!

M: They were indeed.

J: Also, a shout-out again to Brits for renting us this delightful romp.

M: We'd also really like to see The Inbetweeners, the movie. If you'd like to say, purchase a copy for your rental section, we wouldn't be opposed. Though we do understand it's probably not for everyone. I'm just curious at this point.

J: As well you should be! I'd like to see it, too.

M: Well, then. I suppose that's it.

J: I just thought we had more to say...

M: Story of my life. God, I blame this music. It's just so somber!

J: What? What did you say? I fell asleep just now.

Vroom vroom, mother-f*ckers.
M: Don't mind me, I'm just crying over here. We need to end this. But again, on a high note.

J: The table, then?

M: [laughs] Maybe this time!

J: Bright Young Things! Worth it! Attractive British people! Excellent brogues! A decent plot and a moving...uh... theme! Poor and happy is better than rich and depressed. Boom. There it is.

M: Uh... [stirs drink]... uh...

J: Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment