Friday, February 10, 2012

Downton Brogue

What a happy bunch. Oh, don't you look lovely!
J: This is going to be so tame in comparison. [skips to kitchen for "just a half a cup more..."]

M: And we're back! In this post will expound upon the first episode of the hit series Downton Abbey. Yes, that's Downton. Not 'downtown.'

J:  I'm entranced...

M: You're much better at the typing than I am. I guess no one can tell who's typing. Moving on...Jenna, what first drew you to watch Downton Abbey?

J:  Oh god, everybody and their mother. And plus, I'm enamored of all things British and witty. And I knew it was only a matter of time until I was completely sucked in.

M:  Brilliant. For those of us who've not yet had the Downton experience, how would you describe this fair show?

J:  Fairly. Um, it's a thorough and vastly entertaining portrayal of life in the British countryside at a manor. Is it a manor?

M:  An 'abbey'?

J:  It's an abbey? I don't know. Whatever... Everyone from the kitchen maid to Lord Grantham is given equal screen time, and the dialogue will not disappoint the most fervent lovers of dry British humor.

M:  Would you say it's like reading a book?

J:  Depends on the book...If you mean it makes you feel educated and enlightened, then yes. Just read the article.

Back hallway brogue-ing.
M:  How did you find the brogue-ing in Downton Abbey?

J:  Fascinating. The subtle yet discernible differences between the servants' brogue and the family's brogue and even the American mother's quasi-brogue are wonderful to listen to. I ended a sentence with a preposition. That's a big no-no.

M:  I won't tell...Anything else you care to add regarding this invigorating new drama?

The jewelry. I die. 
J:  Only that I'm obsessed with the jewelry and the clothes perhaps as much as the accents. If I could roll in the custom jewelry I would. Literally. I'll also say that if you have any inkling of appreciation for British humor, Jane Austen, or fine period pieces, then you absolutely must check out Downton Abbey. And if your girlfriend makes you watch, it's OK to enjoy it. Not that I support gender stereotypes. Because I don't.

M:  Quite right.  Well, there you have it folks. Two posts. One night. That. Just. Happened. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment