Friday, February 10, 2012

A Brogue Retreat

M: And then I thought, maybe I've had enough wine...

J: Welcome back to Blog with a Brogue! It's been some time, but we're full of it tonight! Thanks for that, Meredith. We have two very special posts coming.

M: I thought you were going to say guests and I got excited... who's coming?! Ha ha ha brilliant... I like chianti. It's good. Are you still typing all of this? Weren't you supposed to ask me a question?

J: Ahem. [ominous clicking] So tell me Meredith, ah, about our first film tonight, Retreat starring the esteemed Cillian Murphy.

M: I'm trying to remember how I found out about this movie... I have no idea!

J: [ominous clicking] Regardless...

M: Well first of all, we had to rent it from Blockbuster online, which was an especially frustrating experience. And then we had to watch the movie, which was also fairly frustrating.

J: Not that I don't agree, but do tell... in what way?

M: Hmm... how to avoid a spoiler... I'm trying to figure out how to say enough without saying too much. It was the sort of movie where you find yourself uselessly yelling at the characters to act in a certain manner, and they just continue to disappoint.

J: Can you give us a brief synopsis?

M: Well, I can try. At the start of the movie, we meet the first of our three main characters, who carry the entire film. They're on their way to a remote island in what appears to be an attempt to recreate a past vacation or honeymoon - happier times for sure. But the entire plan goes awry when a bloody stranger appears at their door.

J: And did Cillian pull it off?

M: Hmm. Um. My initial reaction is to say, "Yes!" However, it's difficult to separate my dislike of his character from his acting performance.

J: Would you recommend this movie to anyone in particular?

M: I'd recommend it to everyone! [pause] No. I've no idea. I'll at least say that while it was not my favorite film experience, it's not what you expect. It wasn't predictable. At the very least, it's an interesting and thought-provoking story. Also, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who happens to be asthmatic.

J: Quite right. Well, there you have it. Retreat, with Cillian Murphy, Thandie Newton, and some bloody stranger. (EDIT:  Turns out the 'bloody stranger' was Billy Elliot. Nbd.) It's not important. (EDIT:  But it's kinda cool...) In a moment, we'll bring you our impressions of Season 1, Episode 1 of the Masterpiece Classic series that's sweeping the nation, Downton Abbey.

M: And the floors [heads to kitchen for more wine].

J: That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment