Saturday, July 19, 2014

About Brogue Time

J: What is a cattery again?

M: It's like a cat menagerie.

J: You know what would be a great parody... The Cat Menagerie instead of The Glass Menagerie. I would read that.

M: By Kentucky Johnson.

J: Oh, that was good.

M: Right?!

J: So the same night we watched Big Nothing (and now we have to link it, goddammit)...

M: Links are hard.

J: Apparently! We also watched About Time, which was easily a better movie. We both found this charming, whimsical, and entirely worth watching.

M: It offended the part of me that likes things to be more realistic, but yes. It was nonetheless charming, if silly.

J: It did boast a decidedly surreal premise, but it was set beautifully within the premise of the modern-day world. And it had Rachel McAdams! I love Rachel McAdams. This was her second time travel movie.

[insert discussion on feminism and time travel here]

M: So about Bill Nighy. He... um...

J: I thought this was one of his more realistic roles. He was eccentric as usual, but much more of an anchor to the other characters than he has been in other films I've watched.

M: That is quite astute.

J: Astute is a great word.

Wow. Such rocks. So nostalgia.
M: [laughs] Agreed. I think my favorite part of this film was when it didn't end for the third time and there was a flashback and rocks were skipped and Matt sang a delightful song about skipping rocks in Cornwall.

J: I 100% completely forgot about Matt singing. In fact, I don't remember now. What I do remember are there several moments that I thought the movie was over, and surprise! It wasn't.

M: I'll sing you the song...

J: Do go on.

M: [sings] This is, again, why we need a podcast. "Skippin' rocks in Cornwall!" 'Cause it was when the dad went back in time and the kid went back in time and they were skipping rocks on the beach... a little too idyllic.

J: Right, that scene technically wasn't necessary. We had all the same feelings watching the earlier moments between Bill Nighy and his son.

M: Not his real son, of course. Does Bill Nighy have sons? I bet he has many illegitimate children. I don't know, maybe not. Maybe he's a devout Catholic, maybe not. Not that Catholics don't have illegitimate children... I'm going to stop talking now.

J: BWAB tackles religion. You might want to turn away...

M: I'm sorry, I've gone too far.

J: The main point that I want make is that this is a time travel movie that ends happily. Unlike The Time Traveler's Wife, which left me ugly-crying alone in my room.

M: Talk about double spoiler!

The infamous first meeting.
J: Whatever! It's been years now. If BWAB is the one teaching you about time travel movies, so be it. I will say that one of my favorite scenes was the main character and Rachel McAdams meeting for the first time in a pitch-black restaurant. I thought the dialogue was really perfect and representative of a first meeting.

M: But! As that moment is replaced due to the convenient use of time travel... well frankly, I don't think I got over that. It bothered me for the rest of the movie, because it was so sweet and perfect and then it technically didn't happen.

J: That's a really good point. That was the moment where I wondered which direction this movie was going to go. If it was a cheesy, feel-good film, they would find a way for the main characters to still meet. If this was meant to be a commentary on hubris and perfectionism, then perhaps the main character would have ended up alone.

M: Yes, I felt like his second or third efforts were never as charming or as genuine as the first. It kind of negates the entire film for me.

J: It's like you'd rather Rachel McAdams turn him down for his lack of sincerity than enjoy the fact that they should have been together from the beginning. Nevertheless, the movie persevered and you quickly learned that this was meant to be feel-good at best.

M: Right.

J: It was, honestly, a relief for me after the trauma of the previous film and my remembrance of The Time Traveler's Wife.

[two-hour conversation about life]

J: What did you think about Bill Nighy's role in this movie?

Stop it.
M: I feel like we've talked a lot about Bill Nighy.

J: He was the main British guy.

M: What was the kid? I mean, who was the kid?

[Wikipeda-ing ensues]

J: Whoa! He's Irish and he was Bill Weasley in the Harry Potter movies. Not only that, his father played Mad-Eye Moody!

M: Wasn't he in the first BWAB movie we watched? The Guard?

J: Oh my gosh, you're right! BWAB comes full circle!

M: I don't feel like we can go anywhere from here. I feel like we've reached the... I mean... for this post in particular... we can't do better than that. BWAB as a whole will live on. Until forever. Or further notice.

J: I WAS GONNA SAY...

M: Yes, go on.

J: We're rockstars. With much more to say.

M: Um, I think I have to go to bed.

J: Fair, fair. We've done a lot for one night. Til next time!

M: BWAB out!
brb (not pooping)

1 comment:

  1. I liked About Time, too. I watched it on the suggestion of my sister, with Emily and my parents. Big mistake. If there's one thing I hate, it's following a heartfelt movie with crying and hugs. Detestably exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete