Friday, April 25, 2014

Seven Psychobrogues

J: Many eons ago we watched a rather fantastic move called Seven Psychopaths. It was far more entertaining than I expected and actually sort of moving.

M: Can I just say that I forgot what we were blogging about until you said that and I got really excited.

J: I've had to repeatedly remind myself every single time we even talked about blogging, so I'll probably try to blog about this one next time too.

M: I might be okay with that. It was actually that good.

J: Which was super convenient because we had more than one guest watching with us.

M: Yes, I wish they were all here to help us blog as well.

J: Me too. The movie experience was much improved by multiple perspectives and/or outbursts.

M: [finishes first coat of nail polish] Uh, where were we? What was the last thing you said.

J: [repeats]

M: Right! Yes. So, the movie. Um. It was amazing. Did we figure out who wrote it? Because otherwise, the only outright obviously Atlantic Archipelagoan aspect is once again Mr. Farrell, who was - for once - quite likable, I daresay.

J: One of the many things that made this movie unexpectedly fascinating. You're right, Mr. Farrell doesn't really count on our overall brogue...

Okay, okay, he counts. Barely.
M: No, I mean he counts...

J: Right, he counts, but he's so...

M: But he's it. We've been there, done that.

J: I wish. But I digress. I think we did actually determine that the director was British and relatively well-known... [pauses for Google] Martin McDonagh?

M: Uhh... does it say anything else he's done? I think he wrote and directed. And then I think the Colin Farrell screenwriter character was supposed to be some loose... yeah, because I think his name is even Marty in the movie.

J: [back to Google] He has British AND Irish citizenship.

M: It's the best of both worlds. He's like the Hannah Montana of the UK. Or the Atlantic Archipelago, I should say. [sings] The beeeeest of both worlds!

J: And yes! That is the main character's name.

M: So basically, this movie was a really good pick on all accounts.

J: I remember seen trailers for it and not particularly wanting to see it, but I'm so glad I had the excuse, because it was fantastic.

M: I think we even watched the trailer right before we watched the movie, and I was like, "Meh. I feel like we've seen it all." But the movie was so much more.

J: Christopher Walken alone completely sold this movie for me.

M: That man is a national treasure.

J: Someone call Nicholas Cage.
America's national treasure, holding a small dog and
reading a pamphlet.

M: [laughs]

J: And Sam Rockwell...

M: Oh man, I adore Sam Rockwell. And just about everything that he's done. Have you seen Moon yet?

J: [looks quizzical]

M: You gotta see Moon.

J: Will do!

M: I think David Bowie's son directed it. Just puttin' that in there.

J: So, very generally, what was this movie actually about?

M: Whew. Well. Generally it's about this guy named Mahty. He's Irish, he may or may not have a drinking problem, and he's also allegedly a screenwriter of some sort that is struggling to not only finish but begin his current script, entitled Seven Psychopaths.

J: This is one of those great films that crosses the line between character's story and the story itself.

M: I feel like there's a literary term for that that we're just missin' right now.

Saaaaam Rockwell ladies and gentlemen. I think
Meredith wants this hat. Confirmed.
J: Yeah, something about meta something something... story-within-a-story...

M: Inception.

J: Psychoception.

M: Perfect.

J: In any case, it quickly becomes clear that the Seven Psychopaths of Marty's script are actually...

M: Very real indeed.

J: And that may be because the script characters are more or less "given" to him by characters in the movie, making the overlap more obvious, but it's still really well done, in the end. There were a couple of psychopath plot lines that were unfortunately brief, but for the most part, everyone's character felt really well-developed. Did you have a favorite psychopath?

M: Would that be revealing too much, to even divulge?

J: Perhaps... How about a favorite character?

M: Wow. That is difficult. I'm not sure I could pick.

J: There are quite a few to choose from. I think I'd have to go with Christopher Walken, just because of his voice. It's shallow, but true.

M: That voice is a thing of beauty and art and all that is right and good in the world.

J: An iconic piece of American history.

M: As I said, a national treasure.

J: Tip of the cap to you, Mr. Walken.
Camping, a national pastime. 

M: Oh! Can I also point out that this film had an exceptional soundtrack. Multiple songs by the Walkmen, including my favorite.

J: It is a good thing you're here, because I always fail to notice cool things like that. Which one is your favorite?

M: It's called Angela Surf City.

J: Well we should listen to it! To Spotify! I'd also like to point out that more or less the entire plot of this movie revolves around a stolen dog. That is all.

M: [laughs]

J: Okay, we need to finish this, and we can't do it while listening to music, because it's too good.

M: Yes! Okay.

J: Anything else you'd like to add about Seven Psychopaths? We've got a qualifying director and main character, excellent input from our national treasure, Christopher Walken, an interesting collection of plot lines, and awesome music. What more could you want?

M: Um, nah, I think you pretty much nailed it.

J: I NAILED IT.

M: Lady!

She nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment