Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Inbebroguers

J: Do you wanna do this now?

M: I think we should.

J: I was gonna say, I'm pretty tipsy...

M: "Conditions are favorable!"

J: [laughs] Truer words, my friends... in any case...

M: Yes, go on!

J: That is, you're right. Tonight we watched, at Meredith's suggestion (and largely due to the fact that Liberty Hall, though we love them, did not have the otter movie), a delightful British comedy called The Inbetweeners.

M: Did you just italicize that with your mind?

Meredith's favorite. Simon. Looking pensive.
And gelled.
J: It's on the keyboard, silly!

M: I'm so impressed.

J: So tell me, Meredith, what first brought you to The Inbetweeners?

M: Well, I suppose it was a combination of spare time and rampant Netflix suggestion.

J: Go on...

M: [laughs] Well, I finally gave in to Netflix and literally ended up watching the first two seasons in a matter of two days, I think. Two evenings. A matter of hours.

J: I'll say that I just made Meredith go through the first three episodes because I could hardly bear to stop watching. What is it then, that's so appealing about this male-driven view of British adolescence?

M: For one thing, it's quite clever, I think. The banter and the asides and the lingo [Jenna nods] is, well, hysterical, for one. It's raunchy and at times downright distasteful and just plain hilarious, as well as seemingly believable.

Jenna's favorite, Will. Looking pompous.
J: That's very true. I feel like I knew the American counterparts to these boys, at least from a distance. You're quickly endeared to the main character, whose mum has been left by his dad and he's forced to start at a new high school

M: A public high school, no less. A "comprehensive school," whatever that means.

J: Right!? There was so many subtle British-isms, I often had to do a double-take of sorts.

M: I certainly caught more the second time around.

J: The phrasing, as far as brogue goes, was simply fantastic.

M: God, the character Simon, his inflection... he's like a tiny Hugh Grant.

J: It's so true! He sounds like this brilliant, witty grown-up caught in a high schooler's body.

M: That being said, 17-year old Meredith would have followed him like a sad lost puppy. Stupid gel hair and all.

The boys in uniform. No, not that kind.
J: Hey, gel was still cool when we were 17. Also, I was thinking of Will more than Simon there. Will's the one who, for all his juvenile faults, manages to make the comedy relatable.

M: I think they make swearing a thing of art. I wish I had a recording of Simon saying "fuck off." That would come in handy. It's beautiful.

J: So sincere, so emphatic.

M: [laughs] It is. It's glorious! [clears throat]

Clearly an awkward promo shot. "Off duty."
J: In any case, I highly recommend this to anyone who's a fan of British comedies, and anyone who remembers 17.

M: Well said. Hear, hear!

J: Anything else you'd like add about our new British friends?

M: Frankly, I hope they put more seasons on Netflix soon. I also hear that they've made a movie and I'm almost convinced that it might be worth it to track it down. We'll see!

J: Not another VHS purchase, surely. This is 2013 after all.

M: [trails off] It's so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment